Home / Prospective Students / Visas and Permits / Permit for Part-time Employment

Permit for Part-time Employment

If international students would like to work part-time in Japan, they are required to obtain a permit from the Immigration Bureau. You cannot apply for your permit directly at the Immigration Bureau, so you need to submit the forms for the permit to our International Student Office. International students may work part-time for up to 28 hours a week. During a long-term vacation, international students may work up to eight hours per day (40 hours a week). However, working part-time at entertainment and amusement facilities such as snack bars, love hotels, and pachinko parlors is prohibited. Also, it is advisable not to work late hours or to engage in dangerous work.


You must submit the following documents:

  1. Application for permission to engage in activity other than that permitted under the status of residence previously granted (forms are available at the International Student Office)
  2. Declaration card of applying for part-time work permission (forms are available at the International Student Office)
  3. Residence Card
  4. Passport
Act Now!