Extension of Period of Stay
International students can stay in Japan only for the period stated on their visa. However, if you are unable to complete your studies within this period and need to remain longer, you can apply for an extension of your stay. You can submit an application from up to three months before the term of validity of your stay expires.
You must submit the following documents:
- Application of Extension of Period of Stay (Forms are available at the International Student Office)
- One photo taken within 3 months (4cm×3cm, with no hats on and no background scenery)
- Certificate for payment of fee (forms are available at the International Student Office)
- Transcript (transcripts are issued at each department's office)
*For students who cannot obtain a transcript such as freshman: ask your supervisor to write a certificate of your academic performance instead.
- Residence Card
- Fee: 4000 yen
- Financial statement (certificate of scholarship, certificate of bank balance, or a copy of bankbook)