Tuition Fee Exemption for International Students Facing Financial Difficulties Due to COVID-19
Application Guidelines for “Emergency Tuition Fee Exemption for students whose households were suddenly affected by the COVID-19 infection (the Second Semester 2020)” [for International Students]
For students with a large decline in household income due to the direct or indirect impact of the COVID-19 outbreak, the tuition fee for the second semester of 2020 will be exempted. (Those who have already paid their tuition fees will receive a refund.)
- In the normal exemption screening, the income of the previous year is examined. This time, however, in the screening of Emergency Tuition Fee Exemption, the estimated income after the income decrease is examined.
※ You must meet both of the following conditions (1 and 2) can apply for the Emergency Tuition Fee Exemption.
- Undergraduate and graduate students (including international students) enrolled in Kumamoto University.
- Students whose family finances have suddenly changed due to the effects of the COVID-19 infection and who have difficulty paying tuition fees for the second semester of 2020.
(Note) Students who meet any of the following criteria are not eligible.
- Non-regular students (research students, non-degree students, special auditing students, special research students)
- Students who have been adopted into the new system of support for higher education and whose support category is either Category I (full exemption) or Category II (2/3 exemption)
- Students who received a half-tuition fee waiver as a result of the University's original tuition fee exemption for the second semester of 2020.
The students whose householder’s (*1) income (*2) has declined significantly with business suspension or closure due to the impact of the COVID-19 outbreak as compared to the income before the occurrence of cause for income decreasing (*3) and who will meet the criteria for the University's tuition fee exemption.
- In principle, “householder” is you (applicant) or your spouse. However, if your family (excluding a spouse) lives in Japan, “householder” is family members who provide the family budget.
- If you are supported financially by parents or others, “income” means the total amount of the parents’ (or other’s) remittance and your income such as part-time job wage. If you are a self-supporting student, “income” means the total income of you and your spouse.
*3 income decreasing
- The sum of money sent by family members in the applicant's home country and the applicant's part-time work income has decreased because of the COVID-19 outbreak.
● The criteria for the University's tuition fee exemption is available at the URL below:
Tuesday, December 1, 2020 – Friday, December 25 【Strict deadline】
* The deadline for applications for students whose final year is in AY2020 is Friday, December 11, 2020, even if they will not graduate in March 2021. This is because their tuition payment for the second semester of the AY2020 is due on Friday, January 29, 2021 (or Tuesday, January 5, 2021 for 6th grade students in the School of Medicine and the School of Pharmacy). (If you are unable to submit the application documents in time, please contact us in advance at the phone number or email address listed in the contact information below).
(1)Prepare the following required documents
※ If you have difficulty submitting the following documents when you apply, please consult with the Economical Support Team.
|※ Documents to be submitted by all applicants (required)||※Application and Income Declaration Form Regarding the Effects of the COVID-19 Infection (for International Students) (excel file) (*1)|
|A rental agreement for a residential address in Japan||A copy of the rental contract (the page that confirms the name of the applicant, the term of the contract, and the rental fee) (converted into a photo or other format)|
|If you have income of part-time or other jobs after the occurrence of the cause for income decreasing||Photocopy of the applicant's part-time work income for the last three months after the applicant's income decreased (e.g., pay stubs for September through November 2020) (converted into a photo or other format)|
*1 “Application and Income Declaration Form Regarding the Effects of the COVID-19 Infection (for International Students)” is available here.
Please download the application form and fill it out.
(2)Sending the application form from your Student E-mail Address provided by the University
([student no.]@st.kumamoto-u.ac.jp) as follows.
[note] We do not accept submissions through students' private email addresses.
Submissions by post or by bringing them to the office will not be accepted.
- To: Student Life Division, Student Affairs Department, Kumamoto University
- E-mail address: email@example.com
- Subject: Application for Emergency Tuition Fee Exemption
- Text: Be sure to write your “name” and “student ID number”.
(3)Notes after submitting an application
- If there are any incomplete or missing documents in the application, the university staff will contact you via e-mail or phone. Your application may not be accepted if there is no response to e-mail or phone contact from the staff member.
5．Result of Application
- Result notification: Around the end of January 2021 (or around the end of December
2020 for those in their final year)
- Result will be notified to your Student E-mail Address ([student no.]@st.kumamoto-u.ac.jp).
6．Tuition Fee after the Application
[Students who have already paid the tuition fee of the second semester of 2020]
As a result, students who are exempted from the full or half amount of tuition will receive a refund of the exempted amount. A "Request for Tuition Refund Application" will be sent to you. Please submit the form to the Economical Support Team, Student Life Division, Student Affairs Department.
[Students who have not paid the tuition fee of the second semester of 2020]
Students who have been exempted from half of the tuition fee, or who have been rejected, must pay the second semester's tuition fee in accordance with the notice of results. Particularly for final year students, be aware that there is a very short period of time between the time your result is announced in late December and the deadline for final payment of second semester tuition. (Be prepared to pay the tuition as soon as the result is announced.)
Tuition fee payment deadline for the second semester of 2020 for students whose final year is AY2020
Sixth grade students in the School of Medicine and the School of Pharmacy:
Tuesday, January 5, 2021
Students other than the above: Friday, January 29, 2021
- Economical Support Team, Student Life Division, Student Affairs Department, Kumamoto University
- Phone no.: 096-342-2126
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Guidelines for “Emergency Tuition Fee Exemption for students whose households were suddenly affected by the COVID-19 infection (the Second Semester 2020)”
Application and Income Declaration Form