Degree Conferral and Curriculum Design Guidelines
| In keeping with our educational objectives, Kumamoto University confers the Bachelor's Degree upon those persons who have completed the requisite units and acquired the following qualities and abilities.
○ Students are able to think logically based on deep learning and strong expertise in a way that contributes to the growth of Japan and the international community.
○ Students are able to communicate intelligently with people of varying cultures and value systems.
○ Students are able to rationally perceive changes in the social climate and apply their expertise to solving the issues facing society.
| To achieve our objectives, Kumamoto University provides an education that offers strong academic learning, high-level expertise, and a deeper understanding of the history, nature and culture of the local region. Each educational program adheres to the following guidelines in designing its curriculum.
○ Learners study in a way that balances learning and expertise effectively in order to identify the essence of a problem and arrive at solutions based on logical thinking.
○ Learners gain knowledge and skills that enable them to understand varying cultures and value systems, think from a global perspective, and take intelligent action within the international community and the local regions it contains.
○ Learners acquire a disposition that enables them to define their own objectives and learn actively while collaborating with various people throughout their lifetime.
Students acquire the general knowledge needed by learned citizens regarding culture, society, nature and life to become active learners who understand different ways of thinking and pursue ever greater knowledge.
Students acquire basic knowledge related to the theories, concepts and methods in their field of specialization and apply it toward solving problems using information and data relevant to their field.
Students work as individuals and in teams to resolve issues they identify on their own by engaging in necessary studies/research and practical measures and have the ability to present and discuss the outcomes in a logical way.
Students develop a broad interest in society and examine themselves in relation to society and others. They acquire ethics and communication skills required of citizens and professionals while exploring their own future paths and strengthening their commitment to making contributions to society.
Students develop an international sensibility and gain the necessary foreign language skills and understanding of different value systems and cultures to actively participate in the international community.
Students gain the knowledge, skills and ethics needed to use the information and communications technology (ICT) required in everyday society.
Students gain the fundamental reading, writing and numerical skills required across the various fields of specialization and in everyday society.
Doctoral Pre-candidacy, Master's and Professional Programs
Building upon the foundations laid during their bachelor's programs, students in doctoral pre-candidacy programs, master's programs and graduate professional programs acquire the following knowledge and abilities through specialized, high-level education and research programs suited to local and international needs.
Building upon the foundations laid during their bachelor's program education, students demonstrate high-level knowledge and the ability to keep their skills and knowledge current through ongoing study throughout their lifetime. They possess the creativity to use information, develop ideas and apply them in their research activities.
Students attain universal, high-level learning and the ability to integrate knowledge to solve complex problems by applying their own knowledge and understanding in a socially and ethically responsible way.
To pursue solutions to the issues facing contemporary society, students gain an understanding of the world's diverse cultures, histories and institutions, as well as specialized knowledge, skills, and their own way of thinking acceptable by international standards. They also acquire the ability to communicate clearly with other specialists and the general public.
Students use their knowledge, skills and problem-solving abilities to serve as leaders in their communities in their fields of expertise and more broadly in interdisciplinary domains.